Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Things on my Reading Wishlist.

Hi everyone!

It's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the lovely folks over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week's topic is about the Top Ten Things on our Reading Wishlist-those characters, settings, themes, trends, etc that we want more of in our reading!

I had a lot of fun thinking about this list. Please let me know what things would be on your reading wishlist!

  1. Strong Heroines: I like a girl with sass and attitude. So give me more of them.
  2. Well-crafted worlds: I started off my year by reading A Game of Thrones, which, let me tell you, takes place in a very well-crafted world. I love being able to disappear into another world like that!
  3. Revenge: I LOVE revenge themes! Maybe a reread of The Count of Monte Cristo is in order!
  4. Victorians: I love the Victorian writers, and it has been some time since I've read one!
  5. Cats who aren't evil: Why are cats always the bad guys? The bad omens?
  6. Redemption: This is another one of those themes that I've been yearning for....
  7. Inventive Fantasy: I see a lot of the same things in fantasy literature....I'm looking for something new!
  8. Better Book Covers: Granted, not a writer driven category, but I really love a book cover and nothing has caught my eye recently!
  9. A non-orphaned hero: I know orphans make things easier for writers, but for once, can we have a hero with both parents? Just once?
  10. No more dystopia: I've read too many of them. I want something else!
Now that you've seen my list, do you have any recommendations for me?

7 comments:

  1. Oh yes, revenge! I love me some revenge. I think that's why I love Gone Girl and why (yes I admit it) I liked Amy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like this idea a lot! Top of my list would have to be major women characters who don't end up married/partnered off at the end of the book. Definitely not enough of those. Similar to your #3, more complicated relationships with families. Everyone always seem to be either utterly happy or utterly miserable. Where is the middle ground?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just all of them, yes please. REVENGE. Inventive fantasy would be amazeballs. Non-orphaned heroes would be lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on a lot of these! Can we get heroines who are not only smart and have attitude but don't get stupid around men?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Combine revenge and redemption and read "The Count of Monte Cristo" and the "Les Miserables." Both start in 1815 with Napoleon's return to France; both heroes are mistreated; both have singular encounters with a clergyman. Compare the outcomes of the Count and Valjean. Who is happier in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the Victorians... The golden era. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these rules. What a great idea..! I'm going to think up my own list...

    ReplyDelete