Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Classics Club Spin #3!

It's time for another Classics Club spin! And I am signing up, even thought I failed miserably at the last 2.

In both of the previous Classics Club Spins, I ended up with the same spin book-I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. And while I know it is a marvelous book, I didn't read it. Either time.

For this go around, I'm hoping that I get a good one-one that will surprise me and suck me in and encourage me to continue on with my classics.

So, here is my spin list:

4 Books from Challenges:
1. All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque
2. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
3. Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien
4. Billy Budd by Herman Melville

4 Books my Husband Picked (based on title):
5. The Fall by Albert Camus
6. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
7. The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene
8. A Doll's House by Henrick Ibsen

4 Books to Reread:
9. Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
10. 1984 by George Orwell
11. A Light in August by William Faulkner
12. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

4 Books by Favorite Authors:
13. Beloved by Toni Morrison
14. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
15. The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
16. Tess of D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

4 Books I'm Dreading:
17. Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyon
18. Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad
19. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
20. Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

6 comments:

  1. I hope you get House of Mirth, it's one of my all-time favorites. I also liked Huckleberry Finn and I remember liking The Moonstone.

    I've also read All Quiet on the Western Front and The Red Badge of Courage, but it's been so long I've forgotten them. I suppose it doesn't count as a reread if it's been more than 20 years, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 & 15 would be my choices also. Good luck with spin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I hope the one that comes up is inspiring for you.

    I chose my entire list randomly. Living dangerously. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You passed up reading "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" twice. Maybe your intuition is telling you something,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ended up with 1984. I'm so scared! I've put it off for far too long and psyched myself out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually read "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" twice. It's a wonderful book. You are really missing something by skipping over it.

    Meanwhile, "The Moonstone" is a delightful mystery, if you like historical settings and the Victorian Era. (I do). Enjoy your list.

    ReplyDelete