Sunday, September 2, 2012

Weekly Wrap-up for September 2, 2012: August Wrap-up and Fall Goals.

I figured an evening edition of my weekly musings would be better than none. I had every intention of posting this morning, but instead I decided to finish my fifth book of the weekend (more on that below), then I took a nap (Matt is sick, so the more rest I get, the better), and then I made dinner. Priorities won, I suppose.

Anyway, today's post is probably going to be a lot of musings on what August WASN'T. You see, I had grand plans for the last month of summer. I think I assumed I could find a balance between prepping for school and everything blog related...yeah, no. Didn't happen. Obviously my planning and prepping for school took over, and I'm okay with that. It needed to be my focus. Now I can start on Tuesday with some pretty awesome lesson plans in hand.

I've managed to relax this week as much as possible by turning to some comfort reads. None of them come off my 250 list, none of them are challenge books, and while that normally would bother me, it doesn't. I've been a reading fiend, something that has been lacking this summer!

Prior to this week, I read the following in August:
  • Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (no review up yet).
 In the last week/week and a half, I've read the following:
  • Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
  • A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. Rowling
  • Quidditch Through the Ages by J.K. Rowling
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Granted, that second list is all "children's literature," but still....I'm impressed with myself. Especially since the last five titles have all been read since Friday evening.

This tells me I've been needing some comfort. And I am really enjoying my time with all of these titles.

I've mentioned a few times in the last few weeks that the blog is going through a bit of transition as I also transition into my new job. I wasn't even sure what that meant until earlier today. I'm positive that my reading tastes aren't changing...just more positive that I am stepping back a little. I will still be reading and posting, just less often. With the demands of 150 students, I don't think that can be all that surprising. I'll post when I can, and that's just going to have to be okay. :)

Even with that being said, I'm going to make a few goals for the fall:
  • Complete my Harry Potter readalong (I'm finishing the series)
  • Finish Clarissa by Samuel Richardson (I've been craving it, so I am returning to it)
  • Attempt to complete my TBR Challenge 
That's it. I'm leaving everything else open this fall so that I can probably get into the swing of being a proper first-year teacher (you know, evaluations, taking extra professional development, grading, prepping, etc, etc).

The rest of tonight is going to be spent making cupcakes at my mom's house (for a birthday celebration tomorrow) and perhaps snuggling in bed with Prisoner of Azkaban. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, I will definitely see you next weekend! :)

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could read as fast as you! If I try real hard I can get through a good sized book in 2 weeks time. My life is just so busy i can't sit still for very long. I have the Harry Potter series on my list but just not ready at this time to dig in. I have a list that I would like to complete before the end of the year (http://imaloverofbooks.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/the-challenge-update-2/)
    Hope your reading works out with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to see that you've come into your own lately. I know (only in the loosest sense from reading your blog) that you've had a rough go for a while, so I am happy that you've found something that makes you feel good. I plan to do some comfort reading this fall too. There's just something about getting cozy and comfortable that fall demands. Good luck on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy September! I can't really think of much better than snuggling up in bed with Prisoner of Azkaban :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely comfort reading! I understand about the need to scale back on the blogging--I've been more busy lately and it's hard to carve out reading time, let along internety things. Enjoy your comfort reads! (You make me want to reread the Harry Potters...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books will always be there to fall back on, so go and concentrate on your new job :) 150 students, wow, that makes for a lot of correcting!

    ReplyDelete