Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Warbreaker Post 2: Chapters 13-23.

Today is the second post for the Warbreaker readalong hosted by Amanda and Naithin. Last week I posted my response to the first week's questions, so now it is time for round 2! The book is a very fast read, so if you are intrigued, feel free to join us for the last three weeks (I read this weeks' chapters in only an hour or so).

I don't intentionally spoil anything, but be wary, just in case (and the novel is REALLY GOOD, so you should read it).

1) We’ve seen more of Vasher and Nightblood in action and heard perhaps quite a different perspective from the mercenaries. Any thoughts on what Vasher and Nightblood’s nature or motivations may ultimately be?

I was really excited to get more of Vasher's story in this section. We hadn't seen him for awhile, so I'm glad he popped back up! I'm curious to know more about Vasher moving forward, so it was good to gain a little more exposure. I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about Vasher. I'm going to assume he is a "good" guy, but I don't feel I know enough to know whether he is. Or what his true motivations might be. I'm hoping we get more from him in the upcoming chapters-I also want to learn how he acquired Nightblood (which must be an "Awakened" object, right?).

But, I actually preferred the glimpses into Nightblood (Vasher's sword) a little more. I like the fact that the sword has a personality and seems to take matters into its own hands. I'm also curious to see if Nightblood will ever be unsheathed. If it is deadly enough by just being covered, can you imagine the devastation once it comes out? I'm also going to jump out there and say that at some point, Nightblood and the Warbreaker, whoever that might be, will combine forces. If ever there was a weapon to break war, Nightblood would be it.

2) How about the mercenaries themselves? Denth seems to be spectacularly dangerous; more than we may have suspected. Then there is Tonk Fah and the recently introduced Jewels. Are they playing it level with Vivenna, do you think?

I kind of loved that when we are first introduced to the mercenaries, they seem like harmless jokers. They were cracking these sly little jokes with Vivenna and being all snarky...which I appreciate. And then, lo and behold, Denth caused some SERIOUS damage. Like Vasher and Nightblood, I think the mercenaries have more story to tell us. I also think they are "good" guys, but they must have some ulterior motive for continuing to help Vivenna. After all, she is pretty unskilled and sticks out a bit in terms of her reaction to the things she sees. I'm curious to see how their relationship continues to transform as they move forward in the plot (I kind of think that they have some knowledge of the God King, which is why they are helping Vivenna get to Siri).

 3) We – and Siri – were let in on (some of) the secrets surrounding the God King as well, and what has been done to him to keep him in check. Or at least; we’ve seen Siri’s thoughts on why it was done. Do you think she was right? What consequences do you perhaps see arising from her teaching the Godking?

Someone (I can't remember who) said last week that the priests seem to have more power than the Gods. And I have to agree based on what we read this week. When Siri starts taking matters into her own hands, and the God King doesn't react or stop her, you can tell right away he doesn't have power. And then, once we learn he has no tongue...well, the priests are up to something pretty fishy. Perhaps the Gods have no real power-they seem to be pawns of the priests-limited in their movements and actions.

I certainly think Siri is right in questioning the system and going against what is expected. How often do we stick with tradition because it is what we're told to do? I can't wait to see more of her interactions with the God King as she teaches him, and to see all the evil secrets of the priests (the only priest I like is Scoot).

4) Blushweaver seems to be working toward some end goal we’re not yet privy to, but we know she is after anyone with Lifeless commands. Any ideas what/who/where her target may be once control of the Lifeless is gained?

Part of me thinks that Blushweaver is maneuvering to take power herself. She seems to be incredibly manipulative, so I am guessing she'll use the Lifeless against the lesser gods, priests, and the God King himself (I could be, and probably am, incredibly wrong). I think the war against Siri's homeland is an excuse for her to gain power, and that she is going to show her true colors VERY soon.

9 comments:

  1. It's interesting that we have two very child-like characters at this point: Nightblood and the God King. Childlike, but powerful and potentially dangerous. The sword is dangerous even without being released, and I wonder if the priests are afraid of the God King's power (also potentially dangerous), thus cutting out his tongue to control him. Don't get me wrong - I think it's a horrible thing for them to do, and I think they have other motives because they also don't allow him to read or learn, but I wonder if the practice of cutting out the tongue originally came from legitimate concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about Nightblood and the God King: I am not sure who has more potential for being deadly! :(

      Delete
    2. Interesting points...I'm also curious to see what the motives of the priests actually are. I'm hoping we find out soon because I am getting impatient. :)

      Delete
  2. Scoot is the only priest I like too, and he only became a priest because of Lightsong (or who he was before) maybe he's only likeable because he doesn't really believe either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just seems to be a very real character who is in his profession for the right reasons-he believes in what he is doing for what seems to be pure purposes. I admire that.

      Delete
  3. I'm beginning to wonder more and more as I think about the comments about ulterior motives for the Mercs, whether the fact Denth reacted how he did to the crime bosses moves toward 'buying' Vivenna were not solely for her protection.

    I wonder if -- even if they believe she is who she says she is -- that they believe they can use her in just the way the crime lord was supposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I mean, if you had a princess with royal blood who was naive and didn't know anyone....I think it would be easy to use her for your own purposes while working "for her." I'm interested to see how it pans out.

      Delete
  4. "If ever there was a weapon to break war, Nightblood would be it."

    If there is no one left standing, then there can't be a war.

    I enjoy Nightblood's one-tract mind quite bit, coupled with his/it's snarky comments, like about Vasher's sneaking abilities....Very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Nightblood offers a little bit of hilarity into gruesome scenes...but I am still waiting for him to be fully unsheathed. :)

      Delete