Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite Quotes From Books.

It is Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly meme hosted by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. Every week, bloggers count down their top ten in the week's given category.

This week's topic is top ten favorite quotes from books. To be honest, I think this is an incredibly difficult topic since there are SO MANY quotes that I love.

I decided to pick quotes solely from books off my list to make things a little easier. Here I go! (these are in no particular order).

  1. “My meaning simply is, that whatever I have tried to do in life, I have tried with all my heart to do well; that whatever I have devoted myself to, I have devoted myself to completely; that in great aims and in small, I have always been thoroughly in earnest.” David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  2. “I was just a screw or cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else.” The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  3. "Muse, daughter of Zeus, Start from where you will-Sing for our time too." The Odyssey by Homer
  4. “I always want to know the things one shouldn't do." "So as to do them?" asked her aunt. "So as to choose." said Isabel." The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
  5. "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
  6. "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  7. “Blow the candle out, I don't need to see what my thoughts look like.” Germinal by Emile Zola 
  8. "Yes, Lucy, I would choose to marry him. I think it would be the best and highest lot got me-to make his life happy. He loved me first. No one else could be quite what he is to me. But I can't divide myself from my brother for life. I must go away and wait. Pray, don't speak to me again about it." The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
  9. "A body's got to have something all their own." The Dollmaker by Harriette Arnow
  10. “I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.” The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
Let me know what some of your favorite quotes are!

15 comments:

  1. First time doing this and it's great fun seeing everyone's favorite quotes. Love, love, love the Edith Wharton and Henry James quotes. I thought of listing the James one too, but ran out of available slots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bad at collecting quotes.

    Ooh - just got to finally see your new background! It's been a few days since I was here. Looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUCH great quotes!!! I'm gonna have to look back through my blog/journal if I'm going to complete the meme this week. I'm so scattered!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #4! Wow, I need to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me! Sounds like my autobiography :)

      Delete
  5. I couldn't resist doing this one today too! I love quotes. The ones you picked are just wonderful. I highlighted many of the same passages (David Copperfield, House of Mirth, Portrait of a Lady, LOTR). Also, love the new background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I see everything twice!" The Soldier who sees everything twice from Catch-22.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok so now you have me ashamed that some of these have been collecting major dust on my TBR shelf!! David Copperfield, Painted Viel! Wow what great quotes you've gathered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! Someone else posted the quote I picked from LOTR! I love that series, so much to quote from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I've done this one for Top 10 Tuesday before.. Ah, well, I've read quite a few books since then, so maybe I can find some new quotes to share. I'll post mine a little later today. It's been far too long since I've participated, and sharing quotes is always one of my favorite things.

    I love this one -> "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost." ...my sister used to have it on a bumper sticker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, I love that quote from The Portrait of a Lady AND the one from The Fellowship of the Ring. I haven't read either of these books, but they are in my TBR pile. You've made me even more excited to finally get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic list! Love The Painted Veil quote :)
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a long time since I read The Portrait of a Lady, but that quotation reminds me of why I thought it was a fabulous read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the one from David Copperfield (haven't read the book though).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that Portrait of a Lady quote. That may just prompt me to read it, assuming it's all as good as that line.

    ReplyDelete