Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Book 91: A Room of One's Own and Book Stats.

Title: A Room of One's Own
Author: Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)

First Published: 1929
My Edition: Harcourt (pictured at left)
Pages: 114

Other Works Include: The Voyage Out (1915), Night and Day (1919), Jacob's Room (1922), Mrs. Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), Orlando (1928), The Waves (1931), The Years (1937), Between the Acts (1941)

I quite adore Virginia Woolf. She is an interesting woman who wrote many different things. She is complex and wonderful, and I am happy that I still have many things left by her to explore and read.

I have read a number of her novels, including Mrs. Dalloway (book 34 on my list), The Waves, Orlando, and To the Lighthouse. She does take some getting used to, but I have come to truly love her writing style.

This one is quite different. A Room of One's Own is based on a series of lectures she gave at a few colleges. I am looking forward to her thoughts on writing and women. As someone who has toyed around with writing at various points in my life, I am sure I will find a lot of inspiration in Woolf's words. Plus, the non-fiction will be a good change from all the fiction pieces I've been reading recently.

Like I said earlier, I have already read Mrs. Dalloway for this project. I still have Night and Day, To the Lighthouse, and The Voyage Out to look forward to. And if you are interested, here are the links to my posts on Mrs. Dalloway:

2 comments:

  1. I have this one lined up as well. I was supposed to read it for A Year of Feminist Classics in May, but of course my study load interfered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find Virginia Woolf intimidating, but a lot of bloggers sing her praises. So, I can't wait to find out what you think about this one. :)

    ReplyDelete