Friday, April 8, 2011

Read-a-Thon Prep.

Hey guys! Are you all pumped for the read-a-thon tomorrow?

I know that I am super excited, especially since I am taking a much more active role in the events tomorrow. I am hosting a mini-challenge starting at the beginning of Hour 4 (with a cool prize if I do say so myself), as well as hosting the final four hours. Yep, hours 20-24 will be hosted by yours truly. I'm assuming you might all be asleep, but I promise to attempt to be entertaining if you are up then!

I am a little worried about tomorrow. I woke up Monday morning feeling a lot like death. I have been taking lots of medicine and such, but I still feel quite awful. Most of Tuesday and Wednesday were spent in bed, so I am still recuperating. I didn't get nearly as much done or read this week, so I am hoping to pull it together for tomorrow.

I am going to try and condense my posts for tomorrow as much as possible, with only one post for status updates (I said try, so don't hold me to it!). We'll see how it goes since I like the freedom of posting when I feel like it.

I do know that I am taking two breaks. Tomorrow night we are having party for my grandma's birthday at my parents' house, so I will be gone for a few hours eating and carrying on. I also know that I will be gone at some point taking a nap before my hosting gig. I'm sure you understand that! ;)

All that being said, I have a huge stack of books that I am going to be reading from, and here they are (sorry about picture quality. It was early when I took it and rather gloomy):


The left stack from top to bottom:
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
  • Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
  • Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
  • Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
  • Great American Short Stories Collection by Barnes and Noble
  • House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones
The right stack from top to bottom:
  • Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell
  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci Volume 1 by Diana Wynne Jones
  • Silas Marner by George Eliot
  • Walden and "Civil Disobedience" by Henry David Thoreau
  • The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Looks ambitious, doesn't it? If I don't finish Mary Barton tonight, then that will be the first thing I read tomorrow. I also want to get the first half of Lady Chatterley's Lover read for the readalong. After that? Things are up in the air. The two books by Diana Wynne Jones are in honor of her passing. I have read the Chrestomanci title before (it is my own copy), but House of Many Ways was lent to me by a friend. I'm not sure I want to read it if I am still feeling plague-y, but we'll see.

So much to choose from!

What are you planning on reading tomorrow?

9 comments:

  1. I'm only putting up two posts - one for updates and one for mini-challenges - but I can still update the posts whenever I want. I like the wiggle room in that!

    I hope this goes well. I've been sick all week too so I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a selection! I'm participating to and I'm hoping to get to Sarah Water’s Affinity, Twelve Angry Men, Howl’s Moving Castle (also in honor of Jone’s passing), French Milk, Hounds of Baskerville and the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass. I may add or delete books as I go and I'll post a couple times on progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hope you feel better! Especially since you are hosting hours 20-24.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DON'T read Walden, because it will stall you and make you want to stop reading all things because of the mental thinking and stuff that it makes you do! I hope you feel better too! I'll try and perk you up in hours 20-24 because it'll be morning for me so I'll be fresh as a daisy (I've already resigned myself to not doing the whole 24 hours, because it's my birthday- so I can sleep and stuff :) ) Happy reading anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely get to Their Eyes Were Watching God; it's awesome.

    The April readathon is always a challenge for me. Too many birthdays in April, so there's always a party of some sort on the Saturday of the readathon, and this time around I have a baptism Sunday morning so I will be needing some sleep too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for the read-a-thon either! I'm hoping to get a good bit of reading in, even if it ends up being rereads. A Diana Wynne Jones book might be a good start, although I have some library books to read, too. No real plan, though--I'm just hoping to have fun!

    I hope you're feeling better for tomorrow. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No readathon for me. :-( But I'll try to pop by to cheer you all on! Have fun (and try to stay healthy)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. May you wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed and ready to read! I'm afraid that I won't be able to sleep... I get a little too excited over Readathon... lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get well soon & happy readathon (and happy hosting!).

    Love the pile - Both, The Color Purple and Remains of the Day are fantastic. Things Fall Apart and Their Eyes Were Watching God are on my to-read list, and I've wanted to read Thomas Hardy for like forever...

    Best of luck and have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete