Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Last Book.

When I jumped into doing this project, the plan was simply to read the books on my list in any order that I so desired. I never planned anything out past the first couple of novels, since I figured it would be easier to simply grab what interested me off my shelf.

But, after starting out reading things I really wanted to read, I have come to a few realizations. I have to mix in things I don't like (Ahem....Charles Dickens) in the middle of the things I love. Otherwise I am going to come to the end and have a whole mess of things I have no interest in really reading left and then frustration will really kick in. So I have tried to mix in a lot of new with the old-a great mix of comfort and familiarity with new and awkward. It has been okay so far and I have managed to keep that balance.

However, now I am thinking about the end of this...what am I going to end up with?

So I want to decide now what the last book I read will be. And I was hoping someone would have a suggestion?

If you were in my shoes, and you were reading the books on my list, which one would you save until the very end?

10 comments:

  1. I say this as someone who has done - someone who is doing - a similar project.

    The horrible truth, if the reading plan works the way it should: there is no end. There is no last book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps A Clockwork Orange to go out with a bang.

    I would recommend that it NOT be The Sound and the Fury. I just had to read that this past semester and UGH it was frustrating and terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Steph; A Clockwork Orange would be a good pick -- however, I do think it's a 'either you like it or hate it.' Personally, I thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would suggest Gone with the Wind or One Hundred Years of Solitude. End your saga with another amazing saga.

    I have the same probem with my TBR. I have to stop myself picking all the books that I really really want to read in a row, and intersperse some more challenging ones

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to end with something that's an adventurous, exciting, ridiculously good time read that will go quickly, then I say The Scarlet Pimpernel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to give you a specific title, because I don't think I know enough classics to be of any help. However, I'd either end with one of your favourites. Or, I'd pick a book that'd make you wanting more: something you know you'll love (not Dickens, I gather), but haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Becky; end it with another saga. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cyrano de Bergerac. No other rival. (Except maybe Ivanhoe or Lord of the Rings. But come on...Cyrano's a love-story with action/adventure, heroes, war, beauty, conscience, panache...what else do you want? :) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew...that list makes my head swim. What a wonderful, ambitious goal! You've already read my favorite classic from last year "The Count of MC". Maybe you should just put titles of authors you know you do like in a hat a draw one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I've enjoyed Charles Dickens! My favorite books on your lists: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Iliad, Beloved. Also you have ton I read when I was younger that I really should reread. Like The Glass Menagerie. I liked that in 9th grade a lot!

    ReplyDelete