Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Book 33: Book Stats.

Title: The Cherry Orchard
Author: Anton Chekov (1860-1904)
First Published/Performed: 1904 (shortly before his death)

My Edition: Dover Thrift Edition-Published 1991 (My library's sole copy)
Pages: 49

The play was first performed on Chekov's last birthday and was one of the last works he completed. He is probably better known for his short stories, but The Cherry Orchard is performed frequently and it critically praised.

I have read some of Chekov's short stories, which I loved, so reading a play by him will be quite different.

This will be the only piece by Chekov I will be reading for this challenge, but I have a few short story collections in my personal library that I want to get to eventually.

3 comments:

  1. Love Chekov's short stories. My favorite is The Seagull. I've read the The Cherry Orchard, but it was many years ago. Look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh.
    I kinda hate Chekov, which I think I mentioned once before. This play has an interesting point if you can follow it, I guess, and maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset for it when I DID read it, but this is what put me off of Russian playwrights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this, but cannot imagine reading it - I think that the stage helps a lot when it comes to understanding Chekov. Enjoy anyway!

    thanks for sharing
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete